Thursday, May 7, 2009

What is the highest level a cat can fall from unharmed?

I am thinking of moving into a new apartment and I was just wondering if anyone has any idea how high cats can fall from and remain unharmed? He is an indoor cat, but obviously I don't want to live on the 20th floor in case he one day escapes from a window. What floor would be the highest I could live on do you think?
Thanks for your help!
xx Emmie
Answers:
Only one way to find that out...
hold on i'll give it a go from the 15th floor.
i'll let you know the result in ten minutes........
iv thrown one from higher than that n its still here to love me
10 stories?? *tested* it was an accident!!
Keep ur cat inside! Cat's are good. They'll find a way down either way. But I wouldn't go any higher then the 2nd floor just to be safe!
basement lol well then you don't have to worry besides the lowest level will be the coolest in the summer to.
about 30 feet
Actually, I have heard that there is a height that cats will more than likely be hurt when falling from but a little higher they have a better chance of not being hurt. Weird, eh? I think the idea is that the cat, when falling from a second story window does not have enough time to react before hitting the ground. However, from a third story window the cat has time to react and get ready for the landing.
As for the exact heights, I am not sure. I think your best bet would be to prevent the cat from having access to balconies or from being able to get out of windows.
They wont just go for it and jump from any high they would weigh it up 1st. Mine has got down of the roof 15 - 20 ft.
None! Wha do you think, they can fly? Can you fall from any hight and be unharmed? No. The 9 lives of a cat is a myth! The poor cat can be badly hurt if falling from even 1-2 floor height.
The best way is to prevent. Do not let the windows or balcony door open, EVER! Yell at the cat if looks like it's trying to jump on ..
You would be surprised how high a cat can jump or fall with out getting hurt. I live on the second floor and my cat fell of the balcony and he was fine no injuries.
Ah, I have no idea. I knew friends who lived in NYC in a high rise. Their cat actually got blown off the porch and landed at the feet of the doorman. It did not live and the doorman quit it upset him so. No one realizes how windy it gets the higher you go. I'd try for the 3rd floor. I would not take any chances. I'd be a wreck living any higher than that just for my own self.
I was not surprised at all the sicko answers you got. Some people suck.
If you are afriad of it stay on the 1st or 2nd floor. Even the 2nd floor could cause harm.
Well a cat has a better chance of surviving falling off a 15 story building then falling off a 5 story building. I have no clue how it was in a book, it has to do with science.
Don't live high
A cat can usually withstand a fall up to 3 stories. Anything from 4 - 7 stories, is not good. When a cat falls from anything higher than 7 stories, it can position itself into a para-shoot position and can brace and slow the fall down. Between 4 -7 stories is high enough they can't get into position in time. Above 7 they could survive, but would probably suffer from broken legs.
If you're looking at the 20th floor or even at the 12th floor of an apartment, I would suggest making sure the windows have screens. If not, ask for them so your cat doesn't fall out. Use lattice around a balcony area with planters so they can't look over and fall.
I have actually performed many experiments with this question. kittens stopped survivng after the second story while most Cats would die after third story but some of the bigger cats also bit it before the kittens. so i think it all depends on the cat.
A cat can fall 20 miters without being hurt. When they are Kittens they can't as they are just learning basic ability skills my friends cat can climb a ladder!!! but can't get back down.
I wouldn't push it further than two storeys, any higher and he could do some serious damage to himself.
Hope this helps.
No distance is safe. What you need to do is to make sure that he/she cannot get onto the window ledge. If you have a balcony, put netting over it.

2 comments:

  1. Cat's can fall from a remarkably high height! The 'danger zone' for cats is between 5 and 9 stories. The reason is that at the cat has tensed it's muscles (a fear reaction) and if it lands, will cause itself very severe injuries. Above 9 stories, the cat relaxes, spreads itself out (which helps slow it down a bit from air resistance). It has also relaxed it's muscles so what it hits the ground the cat absortbs the impact remarkably well. They are able to fall from very high heights extremely well!
    I'm a big science lover: and like writing a blog on the interesting and relevant bits of science, I think I will write one on cats! If that's up your street: http://realdoctorstu.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg, today i had one of the most terrible experiences of my life.About 2 months ago i took a stray kitty, and he is now quite big, although not a grown up cat yet.last night i let him sleep in the balcony, since it was quite warm outside and he needed some air.when i woke up this morning, he was nowhere to be found.after looking in all of my balcony, i understood he wasn't there, and i literally mourned him for a full hour.Since i live in the third floor, so very high, i had no hope of him having survived.but then i thought he could still be on the pavement, and when i opened the front door, he was right there, his leg looked broken and he was bleeding in his face a little.i was horrified, and called the vet immediately, and fortunately, he said that my kitty had just sprained the leg, not actually broken it, so he just needed some days of rest.im so happy it ended like this, because these 2 hours i did nothing but cry and fear for my kitty's life.

    ReplyDelete