Sunday, August 2, 2009

Whats wrong with my cat?

I know, I know, I should ask the vet, and of course I want to, but my mother is not one to favor this cat, and she only allowed her in the first place because she has a job. She is a mouser and bug-eater, she does her job well, but is a dear cat to me.
Heres the deal, She grew up the first six months as a semi-ferrel cat at a fire academy. She had a traumatic experience at the age of two months, where she was lost and starved for two weeks. She made a great recovery and was a normal (but somewhat violent cat) for seven years.
I noticed that she started licking the fur off her stomach this year, and the licking spread to her front arms, inside of hind quarters and now the outside of them.
She sometimes purrs constantly, which is VERY out of character for her. This purring is accompanied by labored breathing at times.
Recently her abdomen has been firm feeling as well.
I'm thinking a long term worm or parasite infection. Im going to try to get her to a vet ASAP.
Thanks you guys.
Answers:
Going to the vet is best, she definitley has a problem, although I have no idea what it is. I do know that one time my cat got VERY affectionate, out of the blue, not like her at all. She also was vomitting so I took her to the vet, she had had a stroke, the vet speculated that the change in her personality was because she was scared. She couldn't get close enough to me. Also I know that cats don't always purr because they are happy, sometimes they do it when they are in pain. I'm glad you're taking your kitty to the vet. My mom is the same way.
Is she fixed? It sounds like she could be pregnant...
Also, could be allergies or anxiety.
Good luck!
If her abdomen is firm and she is more affectionate it sounds like she could be pregnant.
Don't know what it could be causing her to lick off her fur. Maybe nervousness or stress.
The licking could be allergies or fleas.
The sudden show of affection could mean that she is pregnant. Pregnant cats get real lovey! But I would really call a rescue or something. At least to get her spayed and re released!
Good luck and keep me posted!
A vet visit sounds like a great idea. Cats purr when they are happy but also when they are in pain. The fur loss could be from an allergy..my guess would be flea. It only takes one bite to cause a reaction to a cat that is allergic. And, like people, cats can develop an allergy to anything at any time. It could also be a thyroid problem..that causes hair loss too. I would treat her for fleas with advantage, frontline, or revolution. They can be bought on line or at your vets. Some pet smarts carry advantage.
has there been any change in routine in the home? After my friends boyfriend moved in her normal yet crazy scratch, bite, hiss cat, yet cuddly at times, went a bit mental and licked a patch of fur off himself, stopped using the litter box, used items bought for owner by boyfriend as his new litter box etc... Could be a cry for help, an insecurity, or something is wrong, take her to the vet, if there is nothing medically wrong with her then perhaps you have one unstable kitty on your hands and the vet can offer up suggestions as to how to deal with it especially if there has been any changes in the home. Good Luck, she sounds like she deserves the best after what she has been thru.
Well, you said she was fixed, but a firm stomach means PREGNANT!
As for the licking, my aunts cat's hair fell off due to stress. He had lots of stress because she was redoing the house.
And the breathing makes me think that she is in heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment