Sunday, August 2, 2009

Whats wrong with my kitten?

Hi all. I have 2 kittens a male and a female and they are very friendly toward each other. They are now 4 months older (Snook, the male just turned 4 months today :D) he loves me, loves when I pet him to play with me, etc. My problem is with Rtia the female. She was the first to come to me and be more at ease at home, she used to love to come to my lap and receive my love. Never hurt them, always treated them right and with respect, they are like my family, I live alone. And suddenly one day she stoped accepting my petting and always runs away, she lets me pick her up, but gets cranky after a short while. She comes eating from my hand, loves to play with me, sleeps with me, always been that way. Why did she became more distant from me? I think that happened the day after I had a visitor at home, I mean, next day she'd runaway from my petting, rarely comes to my lap and to my bed... any ideas? Thanks
Answers:
Did you change any products you use on yourself, by any chance? Perfume, hair spray, shampoo even? If you have anything citrus-y on you, that might explain it. That's the easiest guess. Otherwise, I doubt it's the guest. Give her some time. Cats go through weird periods, sometimes they're friendly as hell, sometimes they need to withdraw a little (or a lot). They're a lot like humans that way. Don't take it personally, I'm sure she's not mad at you and she probably will go back to her normal self eventually. Otherwise, just give her space. Get her used to visitors too, if it WAS the visitor, she needs to realize you will have them every now and then. Get her used to anyone who might come to your place in the future. And again, don't worry too much about it. Cats are very strange creatures, who knows what goes on in her mind?? (by the way Rita is an awesome name, does she sing? :P)
Kittens go through emotional phases just like humans. She is getting into the stage where she tests the waters. I think she is just trying to gain independence. It seems like it happens overnight sometimes. You just have to love her for who she is and keep trying but don't force her. Just know that she still loves you but now prefers some more space.
How long ago did you have this visitor. She may have felt neglected. I think she will return to the way that she was. Cats can get in moods and sometime it takes a while for them to warm back up. I have a female cats that gets jealous very quickly and she will act the same way but she always eventually returns to the sweet cat that she is.
You also might try playing with her more, giving her cats treats or wet food to try to get her to warm up more quickly. Good Luck with everything!!

No comments:

Post a Comment