Sunday, August 2, 2009

Whats wrong with my cat?

my cat is 17 years old normally fit and well. this afternnon he was limping on his back left foot he can weight bear but is limping. we took him to the vets who did a blood test which showed slighty raised kidney function but may be normal a he is old. she gave him a injection of pain relieve and we have to go back tommorow. if he has to be xrayed tommorow they will have to sedate him but is he to old for that. any ideas whats wrng with him. no obvious cause
Answers:
He could have injured it somehow, caught in a door, etc, you didn't mention if he goes outside, if so, could have been an attack from another animal or he could have been hit or run over. The x-ray will show more - good luck with this, 17 is advanced age for a cat and you must have card for him very well.
It has alot to do with his age. I mean he is really old. Once cats start to be old these things start to happen to old cats.
It could be arthritis or maybe he fell while you weren't home. The x-ray will tell the vet what is going on. If you are concerned about them sedating him, make sure and ask questions. Never be afraid to ask them anything, that's what they are there for.
Arthritis of the hinds and his leg or hip is bothering him? Maybe just some cat pain killer and not sedating him would be best...
allot of it has to do with his age. he might have just pulled a muscle, tweaked his ankle, or it just hurt from old age and he is favoring it.
I assume you checked his paw and his nails?
If your cat seems to be in pain, you've got to x-ray him whether or not he may not come out of it. Maybe he has osteoporosis and he's broken a bone. If he comes out of the sedation okay, and you find the problem, your kitty could live another 5 years. I think it's worth a try.
I have a kitty at home, an orange domestic short-hair. We at first named her Liberty because we adopted her right around 9/11. that name didn't stick. So we just started calling her gato (cat in Sp) and one day she came in smelly, and my husband started calling her shinky (like stinky). We call her a lot of names, but shinky gato seems to be the favorite. I call her boo a lot. She's my baby (I stay at home all day) and she knows she has to make some biscuits before we can go to sleep. She loves to be carried around. Whatever I'm doing in the house doesn't matter. She just wants to hitch a ride. She was hurt outside last month by some other animal, and the abrasion got infected (it was under her hair and we had no idea it was there). So we took her to the vet, and he gave her an antibiotic and she was back to her own self in a couple of days. I was SO happy. I can't imagine myself at home alone. She brings me comfort.
Enough! I hope your cat makes it. I'd like an e-mail if you'd be so kind. Love him and pat him and give him his favorite dinner. Even let him sleep on your newspaper.:)
TX Mom
Debbie
Not a vet
your cat may have jumped off the sofa or other furniture and injured his foot or leg. Coupled with arthritis, it can cause some pain.
Since his kidney tests are slightly elevated, ask what you can do to improve his kidney function now as kidney failure is a leading cause of death in cats.
Also ask the Vet to try and do an X-Ray without sedation. My cat is an elder cat too and she has had a few x-rays without being sedated.
Don't worry, your cat should be fine, aches and pains happen to all of us after we age. Ask anyone over 50. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment