Thursday, July 30, 2009

What should I do? I paid a LOT of money to have my cat declawed and found a claw tonight!?

Before anyone gets upset with me for having him declawed I want to explain. He is double pawed and has an unretactable claw. Often times it would start growing into his paw and caused him a lot of pain. He is a very difficult cat for others to handle. Although he was tranquilized he kept willing himself to come out it. He is a very large part siamese alpha male. The staff was afraid of him to the extent that I had to come in for most of the handling. I had to take him from his cage and hold him while they unbandaged him. It was a very tramatic situation for both of us! We specifically took him in to remove primarily that claw he had issues with. I was snuggleing with him tonight and found that the claw is growing back. I am furious! Not just for the money we spent but for the pain and suffering he has had to endure. He is also considered a companion pet and helps with my depression. Please don't write to tell me to take him to the vet DUH. I want to know what I should say when I call!
Answers:
Wow!! First of all, I'm going to tell you that you did the right thing by declawing him! Alot of polydactyl cats (those with the extra toes) Have problems with the middle toes. They often turn sideways, grow at weird angles and rub against the other toes. *(I have a polydactyl and had to have her declawed too.)
As far as what to tell the vet, I would call and have them pay for you to take it to another vet! When you properly declaw a cat there is no and i mean NO way for it to grow back, they actually amputate the first joint on the toe. They have to do something, and if they refuse threaten them with the better buiseness bureau!! You can call them and have them on these peoples behinds.
You just say that you found a claw growing back and you want to know what the doctor is going to do about it. And, by the way, I am not paying any more money for what should have been done for what I paid.
WoW! In some circumstances this happens, kinda like tonsils coming back. I would just call and ask the vet if he can re-remove it and if it will cost ya. Hopefully since it wasn't successful the first time he won't charge ya. Normally I am against declawing, but if it was to alleviate pain for your kitty than so be it.
Maybe you shouldn't have got him declawed.
You payed a LOT of money for no reason.
declawing cats is pointless. i care more about my cat then my furniture
Tell them exactly what you have said here, that you did not get what you paid for and you expect the damage to be repaired free of charge or you will be seeking the services of another, more competent veterinarian. Good luck! Give your kitty lots of love!
Hey - I won't judge because my cat is declawed also. And honestly - it's the best thing i have ever done. So - I would call the vet (duh :) ) and I would say, I was calling because I am concerned because it seems like the claw is growing back. Is that possible? Have you all ever heard of it? I know that if they don't take all of the area out, the claw can grow back, but you are going to need to take him in. If the vet seems perplexed, ask him/her what the options are. I really truely believe that this is something that they should be responsible for. You took your cat in for a procedure and it appears - in some way - they have "botched" it. Please be honest with your vet. It is one of the most important relationships that you can have and it sounds like things aren't going well enough that you can have an honest conversation with them (you mention that the staff was afraid of him and I wonder if that is causing you anxiety about using that vet). If you aren't comfortable with the staff and how they treat your pet, please consider finding another vet - one that you are completely comfortable with - one that understands that cats are finicky and can be quite icky at the vets.
Call, ask nicely about the claw's possibility of coming back, if they say no, ask them again, what could cause that. let them know that you need to make an appt because it seems that it is coming back and then talk with the vet about what they are going to do to "fix" this situation
Good luck!
Be honest, talk firmly that you've had this treatment done already. Letting them know the pain your cat and you had went threw at that time. BE firm and honest.God Bless hope all goes well for the both of you
keep buging'em n keep going n neva give up n just b really mean bout it
He should not have been declawed, you're smart enough to know about alternatives. Like clipping?
Say:
"Exscuse me, I am *name*. I belive You de-clawed my cat for me? Yes, the one with the 'unreactable claw.' Well, it seems to be growing back! *Listen* Blah-blah-blah.* Well, It is causing him pain, and I paid *amount* for it to be re-moved! I dont think this is fair on my cats or my side. My cat will have to endur pain, while I paid for this operation! *Listen.*"
And so try to convince her/him to do the operation again, or ask for your money back and go to a different vet!
~Glad 2 help! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
I'm with everyone here. Just call you vet and expain the situation. Maybe take a couple deep breaths first. I'm sure that they'll remember you and your cat so there shouldn't be much you'll have to describe. Maybe let them know which claw, paw, and if there are any problems with it or just that it's there.
And declawing is a better alternative than getting rid of. While declawing is a nice way to put what is an amputation, it is a much better route to go than kicking the cat out or giving it up to a shelter that will only end up putting it down do to overcrowding. So, everyone who wants to blast this girl, think about that first. And I'll just add myself to that because I had a kneejerk reaction to your headline too. Sorry. Good luck with your kitty.
Actually, a declaw is like amputating your finger at the first knuckle, so the entire region where the nail bed is should be gone.
Declawing is not taught in vet school.
I once worked for a vet who wouldn't let any other vet in the office do declaws, because he knew he did it right and
didn't trust anyone else with it.
Your cat can't "will" himself out of proper anesthesia.
May be time for a new vet?
Tell the vet what happened, and ask if there was a problem anesthesizing the cat.
Ask him doesn't declawing mean no nail should grow back?
This is why declaws are outlawed in some countries, because they can be crippling to the cat, even years after it's been done.
P.S. This is not a "knee-jerk" reaction; cats have claws and
that's part of the package.
Declawing psychologically damages the cat. He is out one
major, important defense mechanism, and he knows it.
during a declaw they ampulate the most distal part of the toe, bone and all. Nails do not grow back. They must have just missed it. Do not let them charge you to fix it (if you go to them again). I would be a little nervous returning to a vet for surgery who was to careless to carefully check for extra toes in a polydactyl cat during a declaw.
As for the three people above with obvious BAD answers as we can all see due to their rating, good for you, you cared enough that you knew your cat was in pain and you tried to fix the problem. Anyway I would call your vet explain and see what he has to say. If they will do nothing seek a 2nd opinion unfortunately with animals comes the vet bills. Good luck to you and I hope everything works out. And don't let these people who obviously did not read your whole posting bring you down!

No comments:

Post a Comment