Thursday, July 30, 2009

What to do?! My cat is vomiting?

I have an approximately 11 year old, completely indoor, male, siamese-mix and he's been vomiting every morning for the last week and a half. The problem is he only vomits in the morning. Sometimes it is complete, whole, undigested chunks of food, other times it is just liquid. I haven't found any hair in his vomit either. He vomits in the morning, then is fine the rest of the day. He'll eat and use the litterbox as normal. His feces seems fine too, no diahrea or blood or anything else unusual in his feces or urine.
We're sure he's definitely male as we had him fixed when he was younger. He's never had an allergy to any food before either. We've bought him this cat food brand before with no problems. The only thing I can think of is his sister had an allergy to fish meal, but she died several years ago. Perhaps he has developed this unexpectedly?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm stumped.
Answers:
how is his fur? if his fur is normal, then its probably something with the food. make him drink a lot of water and eventually he'll get better.
if the fur is not feeling or looking right, then take him to the vet... it could be a sign of some internal problems.
he probably gets up in the night and eats things he isn't supposed to so he gets sick in the morning.
1st: I would check the food you are giving him...don't forget about the BIG Pet Food Recall. Make sure the food you're giving him isn't on the LONG LIST of the recalled Pet Food.
If that isn't the problem...remember your baby is 11 years old...that's 77 in human years. I'm sorry to say that it could just be his body's way of saying...hey man...I'm ready to go.
Good luck dear. I hope he turns out to just be maybe having an allergy with the pollen early in the morning or something...maybe you've put something new in the house that's throwing off a new scent and it's upsetting his tummy.
I think you should see your vet. This could be anything from a food allergy to a retained hairball or other stomach blockage, to a virus, to FIP. Go for a checkup- it will be worth it.
Still sounds like a hairball. Sometimes those things can be difficult. Since he seems OK most of the time I should think he's fine. And no I don't think it's an allergy - that would bring out a different type of symptoms but I would take him to the vet to be sure.
Any cat over the age of 8 who suddenly begins vomiting needs to be seen by a vet. Kidney disease, liver disease, cancers, bowel blockage, and diabetes are all suspects, and require a veterinarian both to diagnose and to treat. Please do not delay any longer, have him examined and a complete blood and urine analysis done.
You need to take him to the vet. He could be having kidney problems, infection, etc. There are lots of things that cause cats to vomit, and it isn't normal so a visit to the vet is recommend to find out what is wrong.
Your vet will appreciate a call to see if he needs to go in or if there's something he can do over the phone.
Go TO THE VET!!
My male, completely indoor cat vomits in the morning, as well. He didn't do it until about a year or so ago and I have always bought the same types of food. It looks just like yours, whole, undigested chunks.
I have experimented and have found that if he eats dry food first thing, his stomach gets upset -so I give him a little canned food first thing and it seems to do the trick. He %26 my other cat share a small can of fancy feast.
Also, I have gone through every type of dry food (even the ones he used to be able to tolerate!) and I have managed to find that the Fancy Feast Dry Food w/greens has almost put a complete stop to any/all vomiting. It's the only brand that works for me!
Oh please take him to the vet right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment