Thursday, July 30, 2009

What the best deal in quality canned cat food?

what's the most economical, yet good quality, canned food for cats?
i've heard that a good quality canned food can help kitties maintain a healthy weight (fat %26 thin ones) %26 keep their poo from being horrendous. is this true?
Answers:
Look out when people talk about price. Look first at the contents on the can label. Stay away from ANY corn or wheat as they are cheap fillers that are also responsible for most animal allergies. Also, stay away from anything that says it contains animal by-products which can mean dead animals, beaks, feet , feathers and who knows what else.
Some of the leading quality brands are Innova, Solid Gold, California Natural, and Instinct. These are all made in the USA, were never recalled, and are made with only the best ingredients.
Remember, read the label first!!
they like Trader Joes
and it costs like 35 cents for large size can
Well any time you switch a cat's food, it's better to blend a mix of their old food and new food for a week or so, to give their digestive system time to adjust. Otherwise, as a general rule the more you pay for cat food, the higher quality it is. I personally recommend Eukanuba cat food, which is the premium product made by Iams. General Iams food is a good alternative, and Science Diet gives good results as well.
meow mix crunch
my cat loves it
you look really scary in that picture.
The food from Pet Food Direct is reasonably priced - the problem is YOU pay the shipping charges and that can add a lot to the price.
Sometimes doing a raw meat diet is just as economical as canned food. I do both raw and canned with my cats. Natural Balance and Wellness are now being sold in the local pet discount store here so I get that. I also use CA Natural canned which is pricey. Merrick's is a good quality line and my cats eat the meat from it and leave the vegetables on their plates so it's not economical for me.
Canned and raw meat DEFINITELY gives you less amount and smell in the poo. Of course urination is the same - maybe even more than if my cats ate dry food. All my cats are very trim and well-muscled (vets always comment on that though none "approves" of the raw meat diet). My cats coats are wonderfully soft, shiny. They don't ever have hairballs or mats in their fur.
Natural Balance is reasonably priced, and you can get a slight discount if you buy it at Petco and use their little discount card thingy. And buy it by the case. I don't buy it anymore so I don't recall the price exactly, but I know I'm paying more for what I've started feeding!
Their Ultra formula is pretty good - it's in the What to feed link (albeit with some disclaimers).
The foods I feed are rather pricy - I pay $1.79 per can for Nature's Variety Instincts, and about $1.59 for By Nature Organics.
I don't know. I only feed my cat dried food, mostly IAMS or Purina. She poops a lot for a cat, but it isn't any different poop from any other cat I've had. Audrey is at a healthy weight, as well. So I think that dried food probably helps her maintain her weight better than canned food would do.

No comments:

Post a Comment