Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What litter is safe for young kittens?

Hello,
I am just starting to litterbox train my foster kittens, that dont have a mom, but when I put the litter box in there with the litter they just started to eat it. I know that is not safe, so I took it out. but they are at the age (3 1/2 weeks) where they need to be litter box trained, as they stoped going when I stimulate them. I have never had this problem before, but I just want to know what litter, if any is safe for kittens. btw, they were fed when I put the litter box it, so they werent hungry...
thanks
Answers:
World's Best Cat Litter is made totally from corn. It is expensive and totally safe if the kittens eat it. Get a $18 bag of that and switch to something else after they get over this "oral" stage.
Remember that litterboxes don't have to be filled with many inches of litter. They just need to have the scratching experience and probably wouldn't bury their deposits anyway.
It should be any kitty litter...I love kittens too. I have cats on my own and i remembered when they were that little.
The litter that has the word not toxic.
What I use for my three cats AND my ferrets is wood stove pellets - they're AWESOME and SOOOO cheap! I buy a 40lb bag at my local grocery store for $4.99!! Lowes has also started carrying them - 40lbs for $3.99 :-0!! They're exactly the same product as the commercial pine cat litters like "Feline Pine" - but for about an EIGHTH of the price! They totally absorb the urine and eliminate all odor. When the pellets have all broken down to sawdust (about a week with three cats using two boxes) I dump the boxes and the sawdust dumps out dry - nothing clinging to the sides.
FYI - NOTHING eliminates cat poop odor - you need to scoop that out daily. Also, all the local cat shelters and ferrets shelters around here (WA) use the wood stove pellets - nothing beats them!
Whatever you choose don't use clay products they are the worst. Corn based, pine based or paper based are the best.
I prefer paper based. You can even substitute shredded paper from a paper shredder that does the *cross cut* That is probably one of the safer ways to go since kittens tend to chew on everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment