Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What shots does my cat need after 9 months?

I am preparing to board my cat for a week at the beginning of September, but I need to make sure all of her shots are up to date. I got her at four months, and she is currently 9 months. When I got her, she had already gotten (according to Defenders of Animal Rights) rabies, distemper combo (?), wormed with drontal, tested (and negative) for FIV and leukemia, and a couple of doses of Frontline. I haven't kept up on the Frontline because she does not go outside, and I live on the 8th floor. I have had her for five months and haven't seen a single sign of a flea.
What do I need to get now, or is she still up to date?
Answers:
She should be considered entirely up to date and you need to consult with your veterinarian when she has an annual exam after her first birthday to consider what vaccinations she might need in the future. I hope you have some "adoption" papers on her from the DAR about what shots were given and when. If not, contact them now and have something sent to you with that verification.
You might go to: http://www.littlebigcat.com and read Dr.Jean Hovfe's article titled "Vaccinations". That is at the end of about fifty articles in her article library. Many veterinarians consider it important to limit vaccinations in cats and dogs - feeling strongly that over-vaccination of a cat with very limited exposure (such as yours) can actually be harmful for a cat. Dr. Hofve also has updates on the vaccination issue in her newsletter archives at the same site.

No comments:

Post a Comment